SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING IN FRANCE
Summer school in engineering + French language + culture
What is the IPL International Summer School?
The IPL International Summer School gives you the chance to experience the French higher education environment and learn or improve French language skills while discovering the beautiful city of Lyon.
It is also the opportunity to meet other university students from around the world and make friendships that will last a lifetime.
It is designed for undergraduate students in Science and Engineering who have completed their first or second year of study and who expect to major in one of the disciplines of the four IPL engineering schools.
We would like to thank the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Region for the financial support they have given us in 2018, which has contributed to the success of the program.
“The perfect combination of science and culture!”
“When I arrived 5 weeks ago, I did not imagine I was going to enjoy this programme so much. I met great people with a variety of personalities, eat good food (and drank lots of wine) and visited some of the most beautiful places on earth while learning science and French. I have had an amazing time and this will be a summer I will not forget! Thank you IPL Summer School.”
> April 12th, 2019: Application Deadline
> By April 21th: Notification of acceptance to the program by school
> By May 3rd: Payment deadline
> May 15th: Deadline to complete Information Form
Science / engineering courses
The program consists of French language classes in different levels and science/engineering classes in English to be chosen from one of the 4 schools. Students also take part in industrial and cultural visits.
· 45-60 hours of class, laboratory work and group projects (6 ECTS. European Credit Transfer System)
· 39 hours of French classes (3 ECTS)
Energy and Sustainability:
Most of the biggest challenges we will have to face in the future (global warming, increasing scarcity of fossil fuels, the impact of production methods and materials, etc.) are related to the production of energy, its use and consequences. The goal of this course is to teach future engineers the industrial and regulatory context, the technical concepts and tools needed to comprehend these challenges and explore the solutions of tomorrow.
French language courses
for beginning, intermediate, or advanced speakers
Industry visits and cultural outings
May include: a tour of the CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research), a trip to Valrhona chocolate manufacturer, Côte du Rhône wine producers, alpine cheese producers, beautiful cities such as Annecy and Geneva, a dinner with a French family…and much more !
Lyon has repeatedly been voted best university city in France thanks to its quality of life and rich cultural offering. It also boasts great public transportation in and is well connected to other French and European cities.
Here are a few more details about Lyon:
- Total urban area population: 2.2 million inhabitants. Student population: 137 600 students in 4 universities, 15 Grandes Ecoles.
- Lyon’s city center is classified by UNESCO as a world heritage site.
- Arts and leisure: Opera House, the Auditorium, around 15 theaters, many museums, Roman ruins, and 20+ museums.
- A center for life sciences in France, Lyon has one of the most advanced pharmaceutical and chemical industries in the world.
- A good place for food-lovers, Lyon is known for its traditional “bouchons” (small, family-run restaurants with local specialties), as well as even finer dining in Michelin-starred restaurants, or fresh local products in its bustling markets.
- Lyon is a major European business and economic hub, with an international conference center and the world headquarters of Interpol.
- Lyon is close to the Alps where you can find 7,000 km of ski runs and the largest skiing area in the world around Europe’s highest peak, the Mont Blanc.
- Lyon is 1h45 min by TGV (high speed train) from Marseille, the gateway to the Côte d’Azur (French Riviera) and 2 hours from Paris.
During the Summer School, students will stay at a residence hall, called ”Jacques Cavalier”.
The residence offers basic housing as follows:
- Single rooms called “studettes” about 11m² with shower and toilet facilities in the room,
- Bed linen and blankets will be provided,
- Rooms furnished with a bed, a desk, a closet, and a fridge,
- Kitchen facilities and washing machines.
Public transportation to Cavalier residence:
Bus number C16 –stop “Harmonie”
Metro line D – stop “ Monplaisir lumiere”
Lyon public transportation : www.tcl.fr
APPLICATION & FEES
- Price: €2150*.
* Except for ISARA non partner universities : contact ISARA at email@example.com regarding the status of your home university.
This price includes:
- Meet and greet at Lyon airport or Lyon (Part Dieu) train station according to the schedule
- Housing during the 5 weeks including internet access and linnen (no toiletries, towel)
- A welcome dinner, a welcome lunch, dinner in a French family, a lunch at a cheese farm and a farewell dinner, degustation of French products
- Various visits through the Rhône-Alpes region (transportation and entrance to the sites)
- 40 hours French classes and culture according to 3 different levels
- Public Transport card for the whole period of the Summer Program
- Civil liability insurance
- Dedicated program coordinator
The cost does not include:
- Transportation to Lyon (car/train/airfare)
- Transportation and visits during weekends
- Passport and VISA fees
Application process & timeline
- By April 12th: Please complete the online Application Form
- The school of your choice will confirm your application
- Upon confirmation of acceptance, final deadline for payment is May 3rd;
- Confirmation of pick-up arrangements upon arrival will be sent to applicants a week before arrival