SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING IN FRANCE
Summer school in engineering + French language + culture
What is the IPL International Summer School ?
The IPL International Summer School gives you the chance to experience the French higher education environment and learn or improve French language skills while discovering the beautiful city of Lyon.
It is also the opportunity to meet other university students from around the world and make friendships that will last a lifetime.
It is designed for undergraduate students in Science and Engineering who have completed their first or second year of study and who expect to major in one of the disciplines of the four IPL engineering schools.
SCIENCE & ENGINEERING
June 8, 2017 to July 13, 2017
> April 15th, 2017: Application Deadline
> By April 21th: Notification of acceptance to the program by school
> By April 30th: Payment deadline
> May 15th: Deadline to complete Information Form
Science / engineering courses
35 to 60 hours of class, laboratory work and group projects 3 to 6 ECTS (European credit transfer system).
The program consists of French language classes in different levels, scientific classes to be chosen out of the four engineering schools and industrial and cultural outings. Details can be found below.
Energy and Sustainability:
Most of the biggest challenges we will have to face in the future (global warming, increasing scarcity of fossil fuels, the impact of production methods and materials, etc.) are related to the production of energy, its use and consequences. The goal of this course is to teach future engineers the industrial and regulatory context, the technical concepts and tools needed to comprehend these challenges and explore the solutions of tomorrow.
French language courses
for beginning, intermediate, or advanced speakers
Industry visits and cultural outings
May include: a tour of the CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research), a visit to Salomon’s industrial site, trip to Valrhona chocolate manufacturer, Côte du Rhône wine producers, alpine cheese producers, beautiful cities such as Annecy and Geneva and a dinner with a French family.
- 2.2 million inhabitants, 137 600 students, 4 universities, 15 Grandes Ecoles, and research institutes conduct very high quality research works both in physical and life sciences and in human and social sciences.
- Lyon is a vibrant city, animated and creative, with a city center classified by UNESCO as a world heritage site. The cultural and historic wealth of the city cohabit harmoniously with creations of great contemporary artists.
- Lyon has an intense artistic and cultural life, with the Opera House, the Auditorium, around 15 theaters, many museums, Roman ruins, and much more!
- Birth place of life sciences in France, Lyon has one of the most advanced pharmaceutical industries in the world.
- The capital of French gastronomy, Lyon offers a choice between the gourmet charms of its traditional “bouchons” (Small, family-run restaurants), the refined atmosphere of its great Michelin-starred restaurants, or its bustling markets.
- Lyon is a major European city with an international conference center and the world headquarters of Interpol.
- Lyon is close to the Alps where you can find 7,000 km of ski runs and the largest skiing area in the world around Europe’s highest peak, the Mont Blanc.
- Lyon is 1h45 min by TGV (high speed train) from Marseille, the gateway to the Côte d’Azur (French Riviera) and 2 hours from Paris.
During the Summer School, students will stay at a residence hall, called “Benjamin Delessert”, close to ISARA-Lyon.
The residence offers basic housing as follows:
- Single rooms called “studettes” about 11m² with shower and toilet facilities in the room,
- Bed linen and blankets will be provided,
- Rooms furnished with a bed, a desk, a closet, and a fridge,
- Free internet access (please bring ethernet cable),
- Kitchen facilities (no kitchenware provided), microwave ovens and washing machines.
Public transportation to the Benjamin Delessert residence:
Bus number 47 and 96 – stop: « Jean Macé »
Metro line B – stop: « Jean Macé » or « Jean Jaurès »
Tram T2 -stop: « Jean Macé »
APPLICATION & FEES
- €2,000 – Includes all classes, 5-week accommodation, all visits and social events and public transportation.
Application process & timeline
- By April 15th: Please complete the online Application Form
- The school of your choice will confirm your application within 1 week
- Upon confirmation of acceptance, final deadline for payment is April 30th;
please refer to Payment
- By May 15th: Fill in the online Information Form
- Confirmation of pick-up arrangements upon arrival will be sent to applicants a week before arrival